SailNet Community - View Single Post - A harrowing tale from Cape Scott
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Re: A harrowing tale from Cape Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentobin View Post
I would also like to thank Brian W. for his testimonial on a Mantus anchor that you can also read on his blog. I'm doing a refit and bought one and have been sweating whether or not I made the right decision.

Stories of Aeolus- Our Gulf 32 Pilothouse: Our Mantus anchor proves itself in all conditions at all times
Regarding next generation anchors... Since we changed from a CQR to a Manson Supreme, we have to be more careful how quickly we back down when setting the anchor.

Last summer, using our new Manson Supreme anchor, I had the anchor line already snubbed with an old (but thick) dockline. When backing down the chain went taut and the snubber snapped -- more like exploded. That would never happen with the old CQR. I'm so glad that I had a snubber in place. (I think I was about to do some charging in reverse, to keep some load on the engine. When anchoring, I usually back down with just the windlass keeping tension, without using a snubber.)

So now I worry about ripping the windlass from it's mounting on the bow. One has to be gentle with taking up the slack in the chain.

By the way, I used to always use 2 anchors. I'd even go for a sail and leave one anchor (Bruce) behind with a fender tied to the line. One procedure for pick-up was to drop the CQR while motoring up wind to the fender, letting out chain. Then you'd pick up the fender and the inertia of the (slow) boat helped set the CQR. At the right speed and angle to the chain, the bow will just come around when the slack is taken up. Easy double anchoring. Not sure I'd want to do that with a Manson, since I worry more about having a big jerking force on my gear after it sets. Now I feel that I don't need a second anchor, so the point is moot anyway.

Yes, the Manson Supreme is worth it. Not affiliated in any way.

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook