SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is it time to boycott the Bahamas?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Is it time to boycott the Bahamas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
I think they'll raise then quickly withdraw once the Cuba situation clears up. Cant wait for more competition for my cruising dollar
Well, I wouldn't hold my breath on the the Cuba situation "clearing up" anytime soon :-)

And, I question whether Cuba will immediately become the cruising destination to flock to, instead of the Bahamas... Initially, of course, people will likely head down there, but once the word gets around how primitive and limited the facilities are beyond Marina Hemingway, how poor the charting is compared to the Bahamas - especially to those spoiled by the incredible accuracy of the Explorer charts - I'm not so certain it will immediately supersede the Bahamas as a cruising destination...

Plus, who's to say the Cubans wouldn't institute a cruising fee structure roughly on a par with the Bahamas, anyway? They know a certain percentage will be clamoring to visit, no matter what the cost. It will be interesting to see, but I'm not expecting this to be a significant influence on the Bahamian fees anytime soon...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook