SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is it time to boycott the Bahamas?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Is it time to boycott the Bahamas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
The idea that touristy places like to soak the tourists is not new, but it should not be done to extremes like this, and would probably generate a lot more revenue if it were lowered to almost nothing or nothing.
Sorry, but I doubt such an effort to try to bring in more people who spend less money by a reduction of fees is gonna be an overall Win/Win for the Bahamians...

They're not stupid, they see the sort of boats the typical Mom & Pop cruisers are bringing to the Bahamas these days... Forget about the initial cost, most have probably $5K sunk into their davits and tenders alone :-) Maybe another $5K in crap sitting housed in NavPods mounted at the helm...

Most have probably spent over $1K in diesel fuel alone chugging down The Ditch, often stopping in marinas where anything less than $100 for the night would be a bargain... And so on...

Does anyone really think another $3-400 bucks is gonna deter those folks from spending their winter in spots like this?

I often get a chuckle from the over inflated sense of worth many of us cruising on modest boats, in a low-key fashion, have about our "importance" or effect on the Bahamian economy... The Bahamians knw where the real money comes from (along with selling their islands to Disney and Carnival Cruise Lines), they'll take one of these to 30 of me, every time... :-)

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook