SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is it time to boycott the Bahamas?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Is it time to boycott the Bahamas?

Once again it is impossible to get this community (the sailing community as a whole) to get together on anything for the benefit of the community.
Obviously 3 or 4 hundred dollars is not a bad deal for 5 or 6 months anywhere, but that wasn't my point.
For those who only wish to spend a week or two, it is outrageous. For me it would mean not stopping for fuel on the trip from the Caribbean to the US, because my budget just doesn't include an extra $400.00 for a two hour stay.
I used to stop in Great Inagua whenever I was passing, just for an evening ashore for the best crack conch ANYWHERE, but I'm not paying an extra $400 (or $300) for dinner.
Whether we go or not, the big yachts with unlimited budgets will continue to go and ripping off the little guys does not appreciably enhance the lives of the Bahamian citizens.
Perhaps none of you who responded negatively to this post will ever sail to the Caribbean via the Bahamas and back, never need fuel on a windless 1200 mile trip (fuel management or not, 1200 miles w/o wind is stretching it for most of us), or just need to duck in for shelter for a couple of nights.
But some day in the future when fees are exorbitant for every island group, you may not be able to take that long dreamed of bareboat vacation because those fees are the straw that broke the camel's back.
I am truly sorry that so many of you cannot see the greater picture here. As someone who has sailed the Caribbean and the Bahamas since the late 70's, I have watched with dismay this trend to squeeze every penny that they can out of folks just trying to enjoy a life of freedom away from the rigors of modern society.