SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013

Oregonian is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Over the years I have encountered at least 2 Brent Swain boats. Probably more but I do not always know the designer of the boat I am looking at. I do not recall the names of the boats, the names of the owners, and I did not take pictures. The boats were well made, purposefully built boats. I liked them. They had all the hallmarks of a metal boat. Welded on mooring cleats, stanchions, pulpits and everything else. Everything was painted and looked good and the boats were a very long ways from home.
These boats were built for a purpose. Just as an AC72 is. They could have been built or modified for a different purpose. Would I want one myself for the kind of sailing I do? If my choices were a Valiant 32, Tashiba 31, Brent Swain 31, Baba 30, or Islander 28, I would choose the Brent Swain 31. And I have no doubt that I could sail it - in all directions - equal to or faster than all the other boats mentioned. I have sailed on all of the other boats mentioned. I have sailed past all the other boats mentioned - and I know the math.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook