SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cool new android app
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy
Re: Cool new android app

Rik, I think I came across sounding like a Luddite with my last post. FYI, I'm a full time cruiser, anywhere between Lake Huron and the Caribbean. Most recent voyage was a delivery from Tortola BVI to the US coast, and bringing my own boat up the US east coast to the Chesapeake.
A lot of the time, areas I sail in don't have either cel or wifi access, or I'm simply too far offshore - thus I've decided to pare down what I use to what I know is always available for me, for safety's sake. I've discovered like tens of thousands of boaters before me that I can do just fine with charts, cruising and anchorage guides, a chartplotter and/or GPS and charts on my computer for planning. Dock and marina phone numbers are generally in the guides, so that's never been an issue. In any event, that's what I've used the VHF for...
I've only wanted RADAR a few times in the last ten years, and happened to have it on the delivery boat I actually needed it on, on the one of three times I could have justified having it.
As for reports from others, my experience (as a cruising editor with Waterway Guides) with the entire crowdsourcing thing has been that at least 50% of the information I've reviewed is either wrong or unreliable, and 20% wrong to the point of being dangerous. I won't trust my vessel, nor base my navigation decisions, on people whose skills and knowledge are unknown and who may have passed through the area once and gotten lucky in choosing an anchorage.
Are we in this to go sailing, or play with electronics? I vote for sailing...

[edit - if I sailed in an area of frequent fog, I would have radar....]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cuba - Forbidden Paradise
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by canucksailorguy; 08-29-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook