SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dock vs. mooring
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013

cutterdad is on a distinguished road
Re: Dock vs. mooring

Bought a new to me boat a few years ago and it took over a year to sell the old boat.
Kept the old boat in my slip and rented a ball for the new boat. So for that year plus I had both a mooring ball and a slip.
Avantages for the ball:
Beautiful out there, view constantly changing, quiet, neighbors farther away, almost like being at sea when the tide is running, and I just plain liked it.
Disadvantages for the ball:
We lived two hours away so if we got there and the weather was bad, we were late, and the bay was sloppy out we went in the dink. Didn't have solar, wind generator, or genset. Had to run the old Perkins 1 O4 to keep the batteries up. On New Year's Eve morning woke up at 5:30 am to 50 plus knot wind. No way our 8' hard dink could make it back to the dock. Got up naked made sure everything was secure went back to sleep. 7:30 am our yacht club called us. They were having a pretty good time watching us bounce around out there.
Said they would send someone out in the club's 18' tender when it laid down enough for them to have the courage to come and get us. Woke up again at 10:30 am all was calm.
My wife just plain preferred a slip.
Advantages slip:
Easy to get to by foot any weather. Easier to show boat you are trying to sell. Just plug into electric and water. Neighbors watch your boat. My wife just plain likes it better.
Disadvantages:
Easier for anyone to get to. Neighbors. Less feeling of freedom and adventure.
I'm sure there are many more pro and cons.
ps sold old boat and moved new boat to slip.
Wife happy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook