SailNet Community - View Single Post - wet rudder and winter time comming soon
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: wet rudder and winter time comming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamx View Post
Yea but aint it a major pain in the ass to take it off? Its been wet for years now and I almost think I would be getting myself into more crap by taking it off. Can I take it off on the hard? I thought I read one would have to dig a fairly deep hole to get it out? Not that I have not dug my share of holes. But I'm reading about locating holes and chipping away glass then pulling bolts and re glassing etc... Sounds like alot of work every year.
Removing the rudder and keeping it from freezing is an excellent solution, but depending on your boat, this may be a difficult task. I would not remove my rudder unless I had no other choice. Drilling and re-flling is far easier. It really isn't hard to do. And you really can't make any fatal mistakes. Fibreglass is pretty easy to repair.

Trust me; on the scale of boat-ownership challenges, this one ranks pretty low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamx View Post
Hell, I'm still dreading winterizing my motor etc... I am pretty handy and have worked in the building trades for 20 years but have no idea where most of these parts are located when they talk about pulling that and filling this.
I felt the same when I bought my first big boat. Take it slow. Ask questions. Listen to others (but don't accept everything). Read, and try things. And just remember, you're not the first person to go through all this. You'll figure it out.