SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dock vs. mooring
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road
Re: Dock vs. mooring

Obviously, having easy, efficient means to get to your boat is essential to enjoying the benefits of a mooring. From where I park my truck it is about 100 feet to my dinghy tied to a dock and maybe 100 yards out to my boat. I can be on the boat within 5 minutes and sailing within minutes thereafter. I can easily sail off the mooring, though I usually leave the mooring with the main up and the motor at idle speed. I'm sure quicker than many could untie and stow fenders/lines and maneuver through a maze of docks to get to open water.

For us, we use the boat more than if we were on a dock. If there's no wind, we'll still go out after work and have dinner on the boat, swim, and relax, spend the night if it's a weekend. I wouldn't have any desire to just hang out on a boat tied to a dock, and obviously forget about swimming. (I'm sure some mooring fields you would not want to swim in, ours is nice and clean with only about a dozen moorings in all.)

I guess we really don't bring that much with us, as I've never thought twice about loading the dinghy and then transferring onto the boat. We usually pack a soft cooler with food/drinks and a change of clothes. We also have very minimal power needs. Basically charge our phones and use a light for a few hours at night, sometimes a bit of music.

We're the white sailboat in the center.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook