SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

X-5 Smart Pilot

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  fstuart 
#1 ·
I have a Ray Marine X-5 Smart wheel Pilot. The clutch is disengaging. I tried tightening per the manual but it made the wheel very difficult to move whihc the manual warned about.
Has anyone else had this problem The unit is fairly new, a year old and only maybe 10 hrs on it So it really concerns me. It is still under warranty so I will send it back but is this a common problem
thanks
Stu

#3 ·
We have had very good use from ours for five summers now. I had a guest on board turn the wheel when it was on auto and he broke the gear inside the motor. I FedExed it to a repair facility six hours drive away and had it back, fixed with no hassles in less than 48 hours.

I would buy it again.

Rik

#4 ·
We had an X-5 on our previous boat. Bit noiser when operating that current below deck jobbie, but we never had a problem with it.

#6 ·
Weve never had a problem with our either in 4 years. Have used it quite extensively on our trips. Next time I will do a below decl on, but not because there is anything wrong with the X-5 once it is set up.

Dave

#7 ·
Sorry, I should have offered some detail when I replied. My unit has been over powered in big following seas. I have also had some issues with the clutch disengaging. I'd have to say my third issue is simply the amount of power it uses.

Things I like: the brake feature is nice (even when not under AP it is a simple wheel lock); it is great under power inland so you can leave the helm and steer +1 / -1 in place like the ICW (where I wouldn't want to be caught without one).

All in all, I would love to have the bread for a real below decks AP.

-M

#8 ·
finally got the Ray Marine X-5 Smart wheel Pilot with the slipping clutch back It took a little more than a month. I was not very happy for what they said was a quick 72 or 48 hr warranty turn around. I have put it back on yet since the deck is being painted. When I talked with the factory in NH they kept calling it a st4000 wheel pilot So I guess they are the same. I have had the unit now for a little better than a yr and so far I am not real happy with it since I only had maybe 10 hrs when it started to fail. We will see how it works this winter The local marine store here where I bought an extended warranty was no help either They just said send it back if it is still under factory warranty. So much for extended warranty from one of the biggest retail marine store in the country. initials WM but here aren't many other brick and mortar stores around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.