SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dock vs. mooring
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013

Griffinroydonald is on a distinguished road
Re: Dock vs. mooring

I enjoyed this thread, My situation is a little different as Where I sail is located on a large lake. I leave my boat at a dock for several days at a time and have had very few problems. I have found as there are only about 5 sailboats on the lake people want to look at the boat. Most people are very nice and ask if they can come on board and look it over. This is fine with me as I live alone now and enjoy some company. I keep drinks, snacks and such ready for visitors. Many people will say" I have never been sailing" We fix that in a hurry.I have returned to the boat to find people taking family pictures on the boat and thats ok as everything is locked and secured when I leave. The dock makes a lot of noise at night and the slap of the waves sounds wike a steel drum at times. You also deal with people fishing and walking around the boat. The nights I spend on the boat are a little different as I find a nice quiet cove and back into it laying out 100/150 foot of chain and anchorline.The lake is surrounded by heavy woods and I run ropes on both sides to my winches. This is the perfect way to spend the night and love doing this every chance I can.I am trying to get permission to install heavy mooring with balls for myself and others from the city at this time.

Last edited by Griffinroydonald; 08-30-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook