SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dock vs. mooring
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: Dock vs. mooring

Lots of good input so far.

A couple of things I would add:

In the summer it's much cooler on my mooring than at the dock. Even in a heat wave, at night I sleep under covers.

My mooring is a couple hundred yards out in the bay. NO BUGS. None. So I don't need screens at night.

In nice conditions sail on and off my mooring.If the weather turns to stink and you miss judge your mooring ball you simply come around again for another try... Not so easy to back into that slip when it's blowing 30 and raining. Oh, and if you want to sail, you WILL be single handing at times.

As others have said, water and power are something to think about. If you are renting a mooring, most places have a place to tie up, get a charge, fill up your tanks and wash the boat, do some repairs, etc.

In general, as all things in life, you get what you pay for:
A more expensive marina will have a launch, nice dingy dock, a place to tie up for a few hours if need be, etc.
A town mooring with no access might be a few bucks a year for the permit and you buy/maintain the gear.

There are often local "secrets" for mooring access if you start looking around.

If you have your own mooring and are on a budget, all you need is a kayak, a roof rack and a place to park your car.

Last edited by RobGallagher; 08-30-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook