SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dogs?
Thread: Dogs?
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013

bblument is on a distinguished road
Re: Dogs?

Update...

Haven't taken the dogs sailing yet, mostly just because I don't feel confident enough in my own abilities to deal with watching after the dogs while I'm still learning to sail well. We need to get life jackets for the dogs and maybe do a few MOB/DOB practice sessions to make sure we can get everything we need rigged quickly for recoveries, should they ever be necessary.

We HAVE taken the GSD and the ChihuaCat to a nice deserted lake beach and given them extensive swimming lessons. Not bad. The Chi does fine, but won't enter the water on his own. Once he's in it, he swims fast and calmly. The GSD loves to romp in the water... weird for that breed. Once it gets to the point where he HAS to swim and can't reach bottom or "porpoise," he gets a little panicky and heads for shore although, like all dogs, he swims just fine. He seems to try to swim "up and out" more than forward, but I think he'll relax eventually.

Mel (the GSD) and I spent the night on the boat last night, and he was great. First trip down the floating dock he freaked a bit ("Dad... the earth is MOVING!!"), but he got used to it and I can't keep him OFF the boat now. We had a great night sitting on the foredeck, watching the stars, and got a good night's sleep inside; he was really relaxed the whole time. Next, we'll motor and see how he does with that... then sail. I think it'll work!

Oh... I found a great vacuum cleaner.... "Dos Manos." Sigh. He sheds a LOT. I just went around the boat, clumping the hair together with my hands. It really wasn't THAT bad, but I'm sure it'll get old.

Thanks again for all the helpful posts!

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry

Last edited by bblument; 08-30-2013 at 09:15 PM. Reason: A zillion bad typos
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook