SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Smoke and CO2 detectors

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  hellosailor 
#1 ·
Hi All,

The Allmand 31 is mine! :) The insurance company gave me 45 days to comply with recommended repairs/upgrades from the survey, 2 of which were smike detector and CO2 detector. No big, I'm good with that. I've researched and found we don't have "marine industry standards" for these items and feel OK getting them from Home Depot, but where to install them... never thought about that before. Really can't see punching holes in the overhead so the smoke detector is on the ceiling like in the house. Any suggestions?

Dave

#2 ·
They make combination units so you only have to install one.

Diesel engines can leak a small amount of Co2 so you might consider placing it fairly near the engine and galley.

Congratulations!

#4 ·
They do make marine versions. Unlike fire extinguishers, there is no legal requirement for installing the marine version rather than one you would use in your home. I'm not saying they aren't built differently.

#6 ·
They should really be on a 24 hour 12 volt circuit and they kind of fall under UL 2034

I fell it is a small investment and have a SAFE-T-ALERT unit

Marine Operating Specifications

UL Listed to UL 2034-2005 for Marine use, including March 8, 2007 revisions. Meets ABYC A-24 recommended standards.
Marine environment tested for salt water spray, cooking fumes, shock, humidity, temperature extremes, vibration and corrosion.
Power 12 vDC, operational range 8-16 volts.
Micro Current Technology: 60 milliamp (.06 amp.) current draw.
Widest Operational Temperature Range Available:-40°F to +158°F
(-40°C to +70°C).
Relative Humidity: 15% to 93%.
Confirmation Circuit: Yes - Circuit reconfirms CO levels before alarming.
Audible Alarm: Minimum 85dB @ 10 feet.
Case Dimensions:
Model 60-541 Surface Case - 5.5"W x 3"H x 1.3"D.
Model 60-542 Flush Case - 6.5"W x 3.5"H x 1.25"D.
Weight: 60-541 / 542 = 0.43 lb.

#9 ·
Double-sided mounting tape, and a BIG patch of it, will work. Most "Velcro" adhesives will release on a hot summer day.

Also be aware the all of the inexpensive smoke detectors are "ionization" types that need to be thrown out, completely, in five years. They tend to die around the 5-7 year range as the ionization chamber gets covered in crud internally, and if you are in a salt air location, I'd expect it to fail even sooner. So look for a "dual" detector, because the photocell type are slower on some fires, faster on others, and the dual detector can sometimes give you a full 15 minutes of additional warning. Figure $30-50 for a dual detector, and keep the CO detector separate. Those also fail over time.
If you aren't really sure of the difference between CO and CO2...take a basic boating safety course with the US Power Squadrons (USPS) or similar. You'll appreciate some of the safety tips, and probably get an insurance discount when you renew.

#10 ·
You definitely want a marine CO detector, not Home Depot, wired into 12V.

The domestic ones alarm when they reach a threshold, while the marine ones calculate an actual dose over time (time-weighted average). This means that a domestic one is constantly going off, when it gets a whiff of CO from your engine or someone else's. My marine one never triggers accidentally.

#12 ·
I seem to recall on my "home depot" CO alarm something about dosage over time triggering it rather than just a set level, but then it wasn't a cheap one. I'd have to go and dig out the instructions, but in any case, I think I'd be happier if it detected any CO as that almost always indicates a problem that has to be fixed.

#14 ·
It's a shame you guys don't have access to the Wikipedia, so I'll lend you my copy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_detector

"The gas sensors in CO alarms have a limited and indeterminable life span, typically two to five years. The test button on a CO alarm only tests the battery and circuitry, not the sensor. CO alarms should be tested with an external source of calibrated test gas, as recommended by the latest version of NFPA 720. Alarms over five years old should be replaced but they should be checked on installation and at least annually during the manufacturers warranty period."

The alarm points on carbon monoxide detectors are not a simple alarm level (as in smoke detectors) but are a concentration-time function. At lower concentrations (e.g. 100 parts per million) the detector will not sound an alarm for many tens of minutes. At 400 parts per million (PPM), the alarm will sound within a few minutes. This concentration-time function is intended to mimic the uptake of carbon monoxide in the body while also preventing false alarms due to relatively common sources of carbon monoxide such as cigarette smoke."

There are UL and other standards, perhaps there is a USCG or ABYC standard that makes "marine" detectors different in terms of what set points they'll use.

But just TRY to find a spray can of CO, or one of smoke, to test your detectors with. Won't be at the local bigbox store, for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.