SailNet Community - View Single Post - How hot does your diesel run?
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013

tspooner is on a distinguished road
How hot does your diesel run?

A few weeks ago I posted a cooling question and received a lot of good responses from a lot of good people on this forum. I had installed a water temperature gauge for my Yanmar 2GMF to better judge how hot the running temperature was versus the original alarm set up. The guage issue was indeed a result of the supplier selling me the wrong sending unit. After checking all water delivery systems, both salt & fresh I feel confident that the flow is working as it should. After about 20 minutes of running the engine at the dock under load the temperature guage is showing about 185 degrees. The infrared gauge is showing around 178 degrees when pointed at the cylinder head near the injectors. I'm tired of just using the motor to get in and out of my slip for daysails and was still hoping to get away for a week of sailing up the coast. However I'm paranoid about having to use the engine for extended periods if the wind doesn't show up! These readings seem high and are a concern to me. Does this seem right to you? How hot are these diesels supposed to run?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook