View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats - Dragonfly 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hi Anders,

Thanks, nice post. Some doubts and clarifications, please:

You talk of about 16/22 true wind full main and code zero, a huge sailing area for such light boat and the leeward amas almost fully buried to make 13/14K. That would put a enormous pressure on the boat structure and I assume that is only possible in pretty flat waters.

Around here, Ikario zone, Aegean that is pretty much almost everyday, I mean the wind, but it comes with a nasty broken sea with 2/3m waves, short and steep ones. With my wife protesting against the boat motion, waves and water coming from the bow I reduce sail (except downwind) to keep a speed of about 7K (could go at 8/8.5K). I wonder what kind of motion and speed the Dragonfly 32 would make on these conditions, that are the normal ones here in the summer. Can you make and educated guess since you have tried the boat?

Another question; Around here lots of Islands so it is quite common to sail on the leeward side of an Island even when going for another one. Gusting is terrible, never saw nothing like it, kind of jumping from 15 to 30 or 35K. Near the Islands on those conditions I keep the boat on second reef on the main and half reefed 35% genoa, doing 7/7.5K (flat water) and believe me that in some gusts I have to let the main go to keep control on the boat. Sailing on these conditions would not be dangerous on the Dragonfly 32, except with a very small amount of sail? These are the conditions were most multihull capsizes happens, not saying that it happens a lot but most of the ones that know off happened on these conditions.

Regards

Paulo
Hi guys,

One thing you must remember is that the boat Anders sailed is the Supreme version, with more sail area. The touring version might be more suitable to your area, Paulo.

The Df32 is designed with akas that are raised pretty high by the amas. This makes for a smoother ride; the ama can be fully burrowed, without the aka draging to much in the water.

I personally don't have experience of sailing in rough sea with a trimaran, but from what I have heard it makes good sense to slow the boat down for a more comfortable ride. What I do know is that the narrow hulls cut nicely through waves.

The boat testet by Anders also has a rather deep cut Code 0, which I can imagine was causing the boat to burrow the lee hull deep, especially if they were sailing on a close reach. Anders might have some more input here.

When I sailed the Df35 in almost 19 knots, we were on a broad reach. At that point, the lee hull was not burried all the way. The Df32 has even higher amas than the Df35. As Paulo mentioned, pressure is huge on these boats but they are built to take these loads. That's one of the reasons they are a bit pricey. Many Dragonflies are located around UK, where seas can get quite rough too, but they seem to do fine, even in offshore races.

//Mr W
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook