SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Perils of Rafting On
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: The Perils of Rafting On

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
No doubt many instances of dragging are due to insufficient scope, but I think the argument can also me made that many cruisers often use more scope than necessary, with no added benefit whatsoever... A lot of recent analysis and real-world experience is leaning towards the conclusion that the generally accepted safe minimum of 7:1 is largely a myth...

Peter Smith of Rocna, with help from the work of Alain Fraysee, has demonstrated there is never any point in going with more than 7 or 8:1... Unless it makes one 'feel better', of course :-)

Beth Leonard & Evans Starzinger consider 3:1 or 4:1 to be their "normal" amount of scope, but will go to 5:1 if expecting a blow...

I believe they have the right approach, using an oversized hook that holds well to short scope to begin with, instead of depending on additional scope alone for holding power... Like Steve Dashew, they believe a cruising boat's main anchor should be sized on the assumption that they might have to be used with 3:1 scope, and I think that recommendation is spot on. In crowded anchorages, I think more drama is due to undersized anchors to begin with, than to 'insufficient scope'...
I would agree with much of this, though you're really well outside of "anchoring 101" or even 201 here. I usually don't like to mention this kind of stuff unless a lot of qualifications and specifics are mentioned. It's too easy, in my opinion, for someone to mis-read this info and start using 3:1 with rope and a regular sized anchor, for example, which none of the experts you mentioned are recommending.

Even with a pure rope rode there is no benefit to >7:1? Do you have a link to their data? I love anchor geekery.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook