SailNet Community - View Single Post - I28 - Gas Tank Info
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013
Deck Hand

gknott is on a distinguished road
Re: I28 - Gas Tank Info

No baffles in my 1978 aluminum tank which may not be the original. My boat was converted to diesel. The combination of a diesel engine and no baffles has led to the engine dying if the tank gage is below 1/4 full and the seas are boisterous. That can get your heart pumping in a hurry. The fix is obvious - keep your tank full. It's an indication of my intelligence that it took me not once but twice to figure that one out. Hellosailor is absolutely right. My tank was full of crud (so was my lazarette) and it took me more than one hour each way to coax the tank and myself in and out. Part of that was because I didn't think the tank was properly moored to the boat so while I had things out I beefed things up.

One hint to make things easier. I took a Sawzall to the engine access port in the quarter berth and enlarged it all the way around including sawing off that annoying and useless 1" plywood rim on the bottom. It's a relatively easy thing to build a new cover using 1/2" mahogany plywood stained to match. Now I can comfortably get my head and shoulders into the engine compartment for much better access.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook