SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Boat Insurance Companies?
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Best Boat Insurance Companies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
...I'm tempted to go with BoatUS based on the fact that they are limited to boats whereas Progressive insures just about everything and may not respond as well as a company whose sole business is boat insurance. Am I right? What has been your experience with different insurance companies?
When I had a small boat, it was covered under the homeowner's policy. It was built in 1972 and Boat US would not insure a boat that old.

When I was shopping for a larger boat, the insurance company who insures our house suggested not using them since they don't do a lot of large boat policies and it would be more expensive than BoatUS. The next one I checked with didn't (to me) ask the right questions so I wasn't comfortable taking a risk that they wouldn't honor the policy if I had a claim, or, that they'd put up a fight.

I decided on BoatUS. They pay for divers if one is needed for a claim as well as paying half the cost to haul for any named storm. I didn't think the cost was unreasonable. I haven't had to submit a claim, but I also heard that they are very easy to deal with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 08-30-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook