SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is it time to boycott the Bahamas?
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
Re: Is it time to boycott the Bahamas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
We could easily make the Bahamas into a second Puerto Rico and, even better yet, Bahamian sounds a lot like English!
The great thing about the Bahamas is that you aren't in Florida (or even the USA) anymore. No more Coast Guard chatter on 16, just the announcement that the cruisersnet is about to begin on channel XX. If we took over, I probably wouldn't be able to anchor at Blackpoint, because we would have put in moorings. I would have to eat at McDonalds, because they put the wonderful Lorraine's out of business. Plus I'd have to pay to use the dinghy dock, instead of the free one at the laundry. We'd probably have to pay to visit Thunderball Grotto....because some corporation bought it (maybe Disney). We couldn't go ashore at Big Majors Spot, because the pigs are now an endangered species. Same at Allen's Cay, with the iguanas. There would be homeless people at every corner at any settlement, begging for money. The only place that happened to me, was in Bimini. One guy in a wheel chair. From what I see, the Bahamians are pretty happy with who they are, and what they have.

No, I won't be boycotting the Bahamas. I don't want to pay an extra hundred dollars for the cruising permit, but if that happens (which it hasn't), I wont stay away. Actually, we spent less while cruising in the Bahamas (entry fee included), than here in the US. Most places we hung out, there wasn't a place to spend money. Just beautiful water, pristine beaches, and uninhabited land. Most Bahamas cruisers know exactly what I'm saying, and why they go back year after year.

Ralph
Water view at low tide | sailing away with R & B
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook