SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cat 25
Thread: Cat 25
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Cat 25

I meant the difference in winter storage costs for you. Assume the C25 has a trailer. Do you have a tow vehicle that can pull 6000+ lbs for whatever the distance is you're going? If you hang out at the C25 site, most of the experienced trailer sailors will tell you that the C25 pushes the limit of most vehicles. We bought a V8 Dodge Durango with the expectation of being able to tow our C25. The guys on the C25 site suggested that the boat is something like 4500 lbs dry. Add in another 1000-1200 lbs for the trailer, plus the weight of the engine, food, fuel, water, etc., and you're easily looking at 6000 lbs. They suggested that you don't want your combined weight to be more than about 90% of your vehicle's capacity. For our Durango, that was 7000 lbs. Subtract out 10%, and we're at 6300 lbs. If we have a few hundred extra pounds of gear, we could find ourselves exceeding the rated limit. What most of the guys recommended were either dual axle pick-up trucks, or paying a tow truck to tow the boat on the trailer (if you have a trailer). If you have a capable tow vehicle, or are willing to take the chances, what are the fees to launch/retrieve the boat at the ramp? How much is gas? Any other expenses? If you have to rent/hire to get it towed, what will that cost?

Now compare that to the cost of keeping it at a yard ($600-$650) for the winter. Does the storage fee include hauling and launching, too? Power wash? It probably does (it does around here). You mentioned a cradle; doesn't the marina have stands? Most of the marinas around here have them and the winter storage fee includes the blocking of the boat by the marina with the marina's stands. Many of the marinas here said that they won't even let you provide your own stands because of insurance issues.

You don't have to give me actual numbers (or any numbers); that's really none of my business. I was just trying to give you a framework from which this could be analyzed. In the end, it's your money, your boat, your priorities, etc. But, sometimes, when you actually sit an run the numbers, the costs aren't as different as you thought they would be. In our case, we looked at having our C25 towed to us (we didn't have a trailer). It was going to cost almost $1000 to have it towed to us, blocked, and then towed back in the spring. Winter storage around here was $650 or $700. It wound up being a no-brainer.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to jimgo For This Useful Post:
LakeMi (08-31-2013)