SailNet Community - View Single Post - Moisture in decks
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013

harbin2 is on a distinguished road
Moisture in decks

Iím strongly considering purchasing a 1988 Pearson 31-2. The boat is in great shape with one exception Ė it has numerous high moisture readings around the lifeline stanchions and the teak toe rail. I know it can be repaired at some cost but Iím not sure what that would be and whether it is worth pursuing.

First, the deck has some cracking of the gelcoat non skid in 5 or 6 areas at the side decks. These were there when the PO purchased the boat in 2000. In 2001, he removed and rebedded the teak toe rails and all the stanchions. He feels the decks are solid. I walked all around the side deck and feel no softness.

I had a surveyor check it out. He found 4 or 5 areas that sounded bad. With a moisture meter, he read consistent 6s and 7s (on a scale of 1 to 10) around most of the perimeter (from the hull to deck joint inword about 8 to 10 inches). Around stanchions and the bow pulpit attachments, he found several 8s and a couple 9s). His feeling was that the entire perimeter of the deck needed to be repaired. He also felt there was some delamination between the surface layer and the underlayment - where the cracking exists.

I used the same meter on my 1981 Islander and all readings were below 3 Ė so I believe the meter is working fine.

Iím considering lowering my offer and doing the work myself. Any advice from others who have had this problem? I have done a little reading that it may not be the horror story the surveyor made it out to be.

The attached photo shows an example of the crazing/cracking just inside the teak toe rail.

Thanks in advance.
Harbin2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1150941.jpg (31.6 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook