SailNet Community - View Single Post - Noob wonderings and questions about sailing, life at sail and sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
Just my opinions.

- CD
Coming in late to the discussion, but well said and more importantly, well reasoned.

Boats are like computers. People ask me, because I evince a familiarity with computers, "which honking great dual core, hyperdrive Star Trekish computer should I buy?"

I ask "what are you going to use it for?"

99% say "browsing, e-mail, DVDs, a little word processing".

I then recommend a cheap, off-lease late Pentium III or early Pentium IV. If they must buy new, I suggest the lightest model available with the best battery time and the biggest screen. Hard drive: unimportant. RAM: irrelevant. Processor: Forget about it.

ALL computers, laptop or otherwise, built since 2002 can handle ALL of the computing tasks that characterize most peoples' usage. So why buy an "offshore capable" PC, when a nice Hunter or Beneteau-logic PC will do, and won't break your shoulder, your vision or your budget?

I wouldn't take 90% of the boat show boats I see into a six-foot sea, but when I take my tank-like steel cutter into a six-foot sea, I usually notice the complete absence of anyone else except those J-Boat guys. Fair enough.

My old boat is a lake racer. Our "new" boat is an offshore passagemaker. I am time-sharing the old boat because after we have a few years of cruising, I'll sell the passagemaker with no regrets...unless I move to New Zealand or something!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook