SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best knot to attach a painter to a mooring ball?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013

bblument is on a distinguished road
Re: Best knot to attach a painter to a mooring ball?

I'm certainly no expert, and I love bowlines as much as the next guy. One of the reasons I love them is because, as sturdy and reliable as they are when under load, they're equally easy to untie when NOT under load. That quality would worry me when used to secure something where the load goes from strong to none repeatedly. The other posters mentioned using a bowline with a stopper knot or some other backup.. that'd probably be fine.

I like buntline hitches a lot; they don't release under no-load situations, and get more secure the more the load increases.

Buntline Hitch - How to tie a Buntline Hitch

They can be tough to untie, but not terrible. I've taken to taking a loop through as the final step when tying it, rather than the entire working end; it becomes sort of a "slip buntline" that can be untied with a single pull, but still seems just as secure as a regular buntline. That's what I use on my fenders now.

Just an idea. I'm really new, so don't take my advice without other research and experimentation.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook