SailNet Community - View Single Post - dayshapes for towed dinghy?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: dayshapes for towed dinghy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateen Luffer View Post
I am curious if anybody actually uses dayshapes for towing a dinghy a short distance. I will be sailing by a major port and two USCG stations just crawling with Coasties itching to inspect/cite you. My boat is a Catalina 22 and I plan to tow a 12' legally registered (Snark Mayflower) sail dinghy. All this would be done in daylight so I don't imagine I need to worry about lights.
If I am reading it right, Wikipedia doesn't seem to think that I need to fly any dayshapes at all including when I'm at anchor because my boat is less than 7m. Am I under the radar and I can just go for it without any dayshapes? ~LL
I wouldn't sweat it, if I were you...

Virtually every large yacht I see leaving Ft Lauderdale for the Bahamas is towing a large center console, or similar... In the case of the 155-footer OHANA, it's a 37' Intrepid... It's impressive, the size of many of these boats being towed across the Stream at high speed... A good friend of mine works for Florida Rigging & Hydraulics, it's amazing how much of their work these days is making up these highly specialized towing bridles for these guys...

I have never noticed any of these boats displaying a special shape... That's not to suggest no one is doing it, but I've simply never noticed one...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 08-31-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook