SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing NE Florida to the Abacos
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing NE Florida to the Abacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTony View Post
If you are willing to be out on the water that long, you might as well go all the way to 65 degrees longitude and head for the Virgin Islands. You can make it in 14 days or less. Once you turn south you should pick up the trades in a couple of days. Until then, it's mostly motoring.

Of course, right now we are at the height of the hurricane season and all the area in which you are talking about sailing is right on the frequent track of hurricanes.
Please tell us you are not planning doing this on a 30' Hunter! I wouldn't like to try that trip on a 60' Swan without a professional crew and I've been deep water sailing for half a century. As mentioned above, not only do you need to cross the Gulfstream, the west setting current across the top of the Abacos, but you also have the Antilles Current running north along the eastern side of the Bahamas.
Heading SE out of Fla in even an easterly, is tough for most sailboats to do and when you add ocean swells and the currents you will encounter, you most likely will not make much headway in any direction you'd like to go.
But hey, I'm as game as the next guy, so if you do it, please come back here and let us all know how wrong we were. Perhaps this "climate change" thing will be good for something.