SailNet Community - View Single Post - Temperature and water clarity of the Delaware River
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Temperature and water clarity of the Delaware River

The Delaware River up near Philly peaked this summer at about 75°F. This is about 10°F less than the past two summers, when water temp went up to 85°F. Water clarity is also much much better. I can easily see the prop and skeg on my outboard, and can see down about 2' on my transom mounted rudder.

My guess is that the lower temp has suppressed algae growth. I have seen no blooms at all. The river currents have always broken up blooms, but in past summers you could see remnants of broken up algae blooms in the river.

I am not sure why the lower water temps. My guess is that more rain in the upstate reservoirs has kept the water management people spilling cool water into the river watershed. Plus, generally lower temperatures overall (only a few days hit 90°F).

How have water temperature and clarity been in the Chesapeake, LI Sound, etc.?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook