Thread: Cat 25
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Cat 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Not exactly. Most modern sailboats, even those considered to be rather "heavy" cruisers, can exceed their hull speed under the right conditions. It is true that as a boat approached its hull speed more and more power is required to accelerate, but the relationship is not vertical. In other words, even at or beyond hull speed a larger power input (be it from you sails or from the motor) will result in an increased speed. The relationship just becomes steeper. I have had my Cal 2-27 going faster than hull speed on many occasions, and even cruisers can sometimes sail for days averaging speeds greater than hull speed.
OK, let's pick nits.

I don't disagree, but my answer was targeted at the OP's level of knowledge. He was asking if a blown out sail would go faster than a new sail, and the correct answer to that question is much more "no" than "yes."

I am aware that it is possible (and fairly easy) to motor beyond hull speed, though you'll burn a lot more fuel in doing so.

It is also possible to have the sails drive you beyond hull speed, but it is generally not comfortable, especially with blown out sails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook