SailNet Community - View Single Post - Twenty miles from Connecticut to Guatamala
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Twenty miles from Connecticut to Guatamala

So everyone says don't go to Orient Point, Greenport is much nicer.

But I've been to Greenport and have never been to Orient Point.
No one I knew had been to Orient Point. The book say OP is small, quaint and has a great restaurant and there are cabs to town center. But no one goes there, why?

So I call and they have a slip. I specify I have a sail boat. No problem they say. Labor day weekend, no problem all they want is my boat name no credit card.

So capt.Arron is this what some of the marina's look like in your neck of the woods.

As I'm tooling along the breakwall my wife cries out. "Turn around there's rocks ahead". I tell her the guy said to just follow the pylons to the wall and hang a left and look for a narrow cut.
He was not kidding it is a narrow hidden cut.
Apparently the docks are all back in docks where you step off your transom.
He was very nice and took one look at the Bristol 32 and gave us the only floating dock. I have no idea how I would have gotten my wife and dog off the boat if he made me take one of his normal slips. We were the only sailboat the whole time we were their.

The restaurant was very good. I'm pretty sure we had the one person shower all to ourselves.
The place is a serious sport fishing center
Orient Star II - Charter fishing boat at Orient Point, NY
Their must have been 15 big boats like the Orientstar taking from 6 to 30 or more people plus dozens of smaller boats. Those guys could maneuver those big boats with inches to spare in all directions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (57.2 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (48.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (42.6 KB, 86 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook