SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cat 25
Thread: Cat 25
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Cat 25

At the risk of kicking the hornet's nest again, I'll offer one other suggestion. Feel free to disagree if you like.

If you end up with a boat with older sails, you might consider refurbishing your old sails as a lower cost alternative to new sails. It will not do miracles, but in my experience it can make a positive difference.

My old genoa was hopeless, and tore in a 32 kt squall at the end of my first season with the boat. When I inspected the fabric that tore, it was clear that the UV had degraded it pretty severely, and there was basically no fabric left on the outer edges where the sun penetrates into the furled sail. I decided to replace the genoa with a new one.

My mainsail is also fairly old (OEM sail on a 1998 boat), but generally in better shape than the jib was. I was concerned that the fabric was getting flimsy, so I thought re-resining could enhance its strength. I sent it to Sailcare for cleaning and chemical treatment (basically re-resining). I also knew that the sail had a little more draft than optimal, and the location of maximum draft was a little further aft than it would be on a newer sail. I considered this acceptable for the casual sailing that we do, and did not expect the Sailcare treatment to help with that problem. But I was pleasantly surprised that the refurbished sail was not just crisper, but did have much better shape, and I could move the point of maximum draft further forward when I needed to. I had not paid to have the sail re-cut, so I'm not sure how/why they made this improvement. I did have some bolt rope repairs done, so maybe that helped. Also, the boom now rides much higher, so maybe the sail shrunk a bit (but in a good way).

Anyway, my point is that a nice refurbish job on an older sail can yield unexpected benefits, and might therefore be worth considering if you find a Catalina 25 with an older sail that's worth refurbishing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 09-01-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook