SailNet Community - View Single Post - Contest/Game - Identify this picture
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Contest/Game - Identify this picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Sorry peoples but I'm not on my usual puter this morning. This could be very easy but lets see how we go.
Well, it is an interesting one because when Capt Arthur Phillip turned up to Australia to claim it after Capt Cook found it, Phillip found the French had found it too! In this spot the Froggies, under Admiral La Perouse, were perched so Phillip went to the other side of Botany Bay and stuck the flag there. Why the French just didnt tell him to bugger off is not so hard to understand as Phillip had 6 ships full of convicts and military. Basically the convict boats would have stunk the bay out.

In any event, Capt Phillip didnt like Botany Bay and headed a few miles north to Port Jackson which was named by Cook but Cookie never looked inside whats now called Sydney Harbour. Capt Phillip rolled into Sydney Harbour and pitched tent about 2 kms from where my house is.
He then built the Opera House and asked La Perouse to be the first singer.

Anyway, the photo is of the point called La Perouse... however the fort shown is not called La Perouse fort... its called something else. Lots of local girls have lost their virginity there.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook