SailNet Community - View Single Post - Weather Helm
Thread: Weather Helm
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Weather Helm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweitz View Post
I was sailing near where you were yesterday (Gardiners Bay) and when close hauled the apparent wind was as high as 24 knots. Not surprising you needed to reef.
I never saw that. We left about 1 PM Fri and went through plum gut with an opposing current. I motor sailed as I was single handing with no auto pilot and their was a lot of traffic and I just wanted to be on the other side. But even with the wind with us and the current against us the waves were only about 1 foot.

We never saw more than maybe 12 knots apparent the whole trip back. We had only a hint of white caps. The boat doesn't have instruments but I carry a hand held wind meter.

I'm always amazed at how people in the same general vicinity can experience significantly different weather. I guess that is how races are won and lost.

And the reason we left on Fri rather than sat or sun was a combination of. There was not a lot to do in Orient Point. The biggest thing was my wife lost her phone and was so out of sorts I figured the sooner I got her back home so she could deal with it the better. That combined with the threat of the wind you saw that originally was from the south which would have been perfect but then switched to south west and me with no centerboard I didn't even know if I could get home at all.
As it worked out we made record time and had a great sail except for the heavy helm which I solved just by locking it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook