SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tiny Dehumidifiers
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Tiny Dehumidifiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
After 3 years of reliable operation, my tiny dehumidifier stopped dehumidifying...

...This exact model is no longer available, but I ordered a very similar replacement, since I've been happy with this method for controlling humidity in the slip. I had rigged a flexible tube to dump the humidity down the drain, and I'll do the same for the new one.
Now that the season is waning, I thought I would post an update.

First, I'm happy to say that the exact model that I purchased three years ago is once again available for web order from Home Depot. At about $49, it's a good low-cost option.

Last April, when that unit crapped out, it was not available so I had to do with this other model from Amazon:
Amazon.com: Sunpentown SD-652 86-Watt Mini Dehumidifier: Home & Kitchen Amazon.com: Sunpentown SD-652 86-Watt Mini Dehumidifier: Home & Kitchen

The new unit has the same power brick as the old one, but has a larger aluminum fin for heat transfer, and appears to remove humidity a little faster than the previous one. Its large 2-liter tank typically fills in a week. I've attached a hose to it to drain into the sink, so it keeps going even if I don't make it to the boat for a week. Humidity in the cabin is typically 40-55%, and even on the most humid days it has never gone above 60%. (I have an electronic humidity sensor with memory, so I check frequently.)

In addition to the dehumidifier, I have two electric clip-on fans that keep the air circulating in the cabin, which I'm sure helps the efficiency of moisture removal. One blows forward toward the V-berth, and one blow back into the aft berth. The latter one also blows across the power brick, which really helps keep it cool since the dehumidifier draws a lot of watts for such a small device.

Overall I'm still very pleased with this arrangement, and for people who have shore power available I think it's a viable alternative to the Nicro solar vents. Those with larger or wetter boats might need two or more of the dehumidifiers to keep up with the moisture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook