SailNet Community - View Single Post - Weather Helm
Thread: Weather Helm
View Single Post
post #12 of Old 09-02-2013
Re: Weather Helm

David, I was looking at your other post and thought that was an Old Bristol. My old Bristol 29 took a reef early working to windward, certainly by 15 knots. I had a 150 genoa on an early (old) roller reefing system that I took off and had hanks put on. Most of the time however, I found that a hanked on 110 served me quite well in all but the lightest winds.

IMHO a 150 on a roller reef is much too much sail for that boat and will never give you good shape when reefed down.

My current Sabre has similar characteristics and when I replaced the 150 I went to a 135 and couldn't be happier.

As Jeff mentioned, it was initially tender, but once it layed over a bit it was very stable, and tracked quite well. ( with the board down) If you had white caps, it sounds like you probably needed a reef in the main and a working jib. The board " stuck up" was clearly a problem.

BTW, in reference to your other post, I used to have to climb off my bow to a fixed dock
( with a 4-5' tidal range) Occasionaly, I would back in if I had passengers that weren't agile enough to climb aboard. I would also just pick them up or drop them off at the gas dock sometimes.

Sabre 34
Morgan, NJ
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome