SailNet Community - View Single Post - Weather Helm
Thread: Weather Helm
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: Weather Helm

David, I was looking at your other post and thought that was an Old Bristol. My old Bristol 29 took a reef early working to windward, certainly by 15 knots. I had a 150 genoa on an early (old) roller reefing system that I took off and had hanks put on. Most of the time however, I found that a hanked on 110 served me quite well in all but the lightest winds.

IMHO a 150 on a roller reef is much too much sail for that boat and will never give you good shape when reefed down.

My current Sabre has similar characteristics and when I replaced the 150 I went to a 135 and couldn't be happier.

As Jeff mentioned, it was initially tender, but once it layed over a bit it was very stable, and tracked quite well. ( with the board down) If you had white caps, it sounds like you probably needed a reef in the main and a working jib. The board " stuck up" was clearly a problem.

BTW, in reference to your other post, I used to have to climb off my bow to a fixed dock
( with a 4-5' tidal range) Occasionaly, I would back in if I had passengers that weren't agile enough to climb aboard. I would also just pick them up or drop them off at the gas dock sometimes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook