SailNet Community - View Single Post - Planning a trip up the East River, Timing?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Planning a trip up the East River, Timing?

Yamsailor,

Thanks for that post.

No doubt that conditions at the N.Y. Battery reflect the propositions in this paper. My experience in the Hudson is that the river's current holds back the flood for a couple of hours. You can see it "walking" up the mouth of the river. Its effects at the mouth of the East River are challenging as they can play against boat wakes creating a very confused, turbulent sea the later into the flood they are encountered. It is particularly important when you make the trip in a canoe as we did last week.

When I plot the current speeds in the East River from low water at the Battery to high, there is a head on current as close as the Brooklyn Bridge at low water at the Battery. As time after low water at the Battery progresses the upstream current increases and reaches a peak around 5 hours after low water. If you enter at The Battery (we paddled down from Englewood, N.J. that morning and rounded the Battery) 5 hours after low water you have about 3 hours to make it to Hell gate before things get messy there. That should be plenty of time with the very strong upstream current you enjoy at that time. We were paddling a canoe, rounded the Battery 5 hours after low water, had to spend time dealing with wakes and chop and made it past Mill Rock through Hell Gate into the Harlem River in about 90 minutes. We stayed on the Manhattan side of Roosevelt Island going up. Other than the confused seas confronted in a canoe I did not see any reason for starting into the East River sooner than 4 hours after ebb. In our Islander the wakes would not be a consideration and the strong upstream current would be welcome. "Local" ship traffic was certainly taking advantage of the timing we used.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 09-02-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook