SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Oceanis 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
Strange, Beneteau has a couple of pictures of the new Oceanis 38, Greece charter operator has 49 from the outside and 26 from the inside...

Strange with that silly rig - only 16,55 m above water level and 33+30 sqm of sail.

Regards,
Anders

Oceanis 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
Test sailed the Oceanis 38 in Sweden today. Very light winds, 7-8 knots and really sh..ty sails. Furling main without battens was approximately the size of my sons Optimist-sail

Anyway, the boat still took off and made appr 5-6 knots high on the wind. The hull is rather high in the rear and release water very nice in these conditions. The same goes for running under engine. Shaft is also replaced with S-drive so engine very quiet and without vibrations.

Stearing rather heavy though, and wheels small but this was one of the 7 pre-production examples that are shown at boat shows and then evaluated before serial production starts in november.

The hull looks really nice but as Paulo, myself and others have said before, the rig, blocks, sheeting etc. needs refinement for active and nice sailing experience. I spoke in lenght with the swedish journalist representative in the European Yacht Jury. He had test sailed the boat this morning and he also thought it was really easy driven and very innovative. He agreed that Beneteau could partly replace the First line with this hull with a better rig.

Regards,
Anders
You are talking about 7/8k true wind, say 10/11K apparent doing 5/6K at 45º to the wind?

Regarding making a performance version it is not that simple. The boat has not much ballast (1790kg for 6340kg with a draft of about 2.00) and even if it has lots of hull stability with that big beam (3.99) for going upwind fast with an hard sea, more ballast would be needed. For having more ballast all the structure of the hull would have to be reinforced. Yes it would be possible but it would make for a much more expensive boat (with a bigger mast and bigger sails, better hardware, bigger winches). Besides that arch would have to go to give place to a proper travel. Benetau will not make it. It is not good business and it would be a boat hard to sell...for the price.

Yes, nice hull, but the boat is what it is, an Oceanis, made to be cheap and sail well in most circumstances (and that's not an easy thing) not a performance boat.

Regarding the outside I like some things and hate other, between them the big arch and the fat side of the boat (big freeboard) but I do like the interior in the version loft. That is just great for a couple. What a space for a 38ft.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 09-02-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook