SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
You sure do like putting words in people's mouth bro. I didn't say a brand name was necessary. I didn't say your block would break first. And I didn't say that aesthetics should trump functionality. But I will say this, the "$2/20-minute" mantra is complete crap for anyone in the real world (e.g. - not on the BrentBoat).

At the end of the day, your blocks are metal and plastic...just like the ones you think are "yachtie". Are they "stronger and more durable"? Probably...just in the same way these are stronger and more durable than yours:

Same tree, same car, yours definitely break before these. Every single time. So why not use these on your boat? At some point...strength and durability are not the main point.

I do agree with you that much of this hardware is way overpriced. And I really like the ingenuity that has gone into your blocks above. But yours ARE NOT "better" all-round than those from the major manufacturers...which can also last decades if taken care of (I have many such pieces of gear on my boats).

Compared to these main-stream products, your blocks are definitely cheaper, similarly functional, but way more bulky, way heavier, and far uglier. Again, nothing wrong with that if the tractoresque motif is what you're after. That's not what most sailors are after however.

Homemade blocks could be done a lot better than the ones you've shown if you ask me...if one cared about "perfection"...and still be reasonably cheap and nice looking. Do you think you could make one that looks as nice this 3/4" Garhauer that's about 8" long, weighs almost 2 pounds, runs $98, has a SWL of 5K?

What would that cost to build for the typical homemaker?
Yes the big ones you show are stronger ,uglier , and useless on a 36. The difference between mine and the yachty kind is ounces, about the weight of a couple of loonies in your pocket, or the big mac some have for breakfast; insignificant, and irrelevant. Lose a pound, and you would save more weight on deck.
Anyone who has done more than day sailing, knows that the shiny one doesn't stay that shiny for long , just long enough to get a sucker to pay for it. As I pointed out ,anyone could make one of mine just as shiny as the one you show, for a couple of bucks. They could even make mine out of stainless, and expect it to shine just as long, and functionally, be the same, for a lot less than $98.
My blocks, shown in the pictures, are 29 years old. How would the steel ones you show, look after 29 years of mostly full time cruising, and many Pacific crossings? Even the stainless one you show wouldn't be so shiny anymore.
Time to go for an ice cream cone.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 09-02-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook