SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

Skattered82

I'm chuckling & smiling to myself. I say this... because it happened to me and I suspected that your autopilot was engaged or something lodged in your steering control system.

However, my control lock up was not on a sailboat. I had a twin engine Apache with a Century 3 autopilot. It had two control rods in the control box that you pushed in to engage the autopilot. I was in a hurry to get going and missed the fact that one of the control rods was pushed in. So, off I go and when I tried to bank (after take off) the Apache ... it was locked up. I could just over (a lot of force) ride the clutch system (barely). I was freaking out, I was looking outside at the ailerons.. saw nothing wrong. I was thinking that something... a cable was off of one of the pulleys or something like that. I was thinking.. can I get this airplane back on the ground. I was worried about putting it in a bank and not getting it back out to straight & level. I made a shallow turn and was setting myself up for the longest runway. I was holding off from declaring a emergency. After I got the aircraft lined up for approach.. I had a moment to relax. I glance up at the autopilot and saw one of the control rods pushed in. I pulled it out like a lighting bolt and felt like a complete idiot. I never messed up again and refused to be in a hurry. I followed the checklist to the letter.

Last edited by HighFly_27; 09-03-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook