SailNet Community - View Single Post - A philosophical divide?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: A philosophical divide?

As I have said in other posts, if I don't do as much of the work on my boat as I possibly can, then I can't afford a boat of that size. So my choices are to do the work myself or downsize to a boat that I will not be happy long term cruising with. So I choose to do the work.

So I manufacture a lot of stuff for the boat myself, I do all the upgrades that I think we'll need and I keep the boat in reasonable and fully functional shape. Perfection is not a part of that process, if it look's good and works OK and it's unlikely to keep breaking then I'm satisfied.

And I do the work while I wait for the time to go cruising. When that time comes, only those jobs that are needed to keep us safe and comfortable will be on the agenda and when I have nothing better to do, I'll get into the non-essential work.

After all that, I am a person who loves making and fixing things and if I'm going to do it anyway, it may as well be the boat. It's like building a rocking horse for my grandson - I could go and buy one for a few dollars but when I see him riding the one I built, there is an irreplaceable sense of satisfaction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook