SailNet Community - View Single Post - A philosophical divide?
View Single Post
post #41 of Old 09-02-2013
Re: A philosophical divide?

As I have said in other posts, if I don't do as much of the work on my boat as I possibly can, then I can't afford a boat of that size. So my choices are to do the work myself or downsize to a boat that I will not be happy long term cruising with. So I choose to do the work.

So I manufacture a lot of stuff for the boat myself, I do all the upgrades that I think we'll need and I keep the boat in reasonable and fully functional shape. Perfection is not a part of that process, if it look's good and works OK and it's unlikely to keep breaking then I'm satisfied.

And I do the work while I wait for the time to go cruising. When that time comes, only those jobs that are needed to keep us safe and comfortable will be on the agenda and when I have nothing better to do, I'll get into the non-essential work.

After all that, I am a person who loves making and fixing things and if I'm going to do it anyway, it may as well be the boat. It's like building a rocking horse for my grandson - I could go and buy one for a few dollars but when I see him riding the one I built, there is an irreplaceable sense of satisfaction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome