SailNet Community - View Single Post - upraded my 22' for a 30' and now afraid to leave the slip
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: upraded my 22' for a 30' and now afraid to leave the slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan8152 View Post
I did go over as much as I could on her and learn where everything is. My to do list is growing and growing.
I know that feeling very well. And it won't stop for a while, I'm afraid. However, once the big stuff gets knocked off the list, you'll find it much more fun.

With all due respect, I think you need to suck it up and get out there. Don't use the excuse that it's going to be windy 3 hours from now to get out of practicing docking. No, you're not going to go for a sail, or even a motor ride. But you'll gain the confidence you need to be comfortable leaving the dock.

I know it's easy for me to say, since I'm several hundred miles away. But, believe me, I've been in almost your exact situation. You're spooked, and you need to prove to yourself and your wife that everything will be OK. The best way to do that is to dock. Over, and over again. Not all of them will go well. So what? As long as you don't do significant damage, each one is a learning exercise, and you WILL get better because of it. Don't let one bad experience stop you from enjoying your new boat.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook