SailNet Community - View Single Post - A philosophical divide?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road
Re: A philosophical divide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
^^^^This.

I don't enjoy maintenance - but I'll do it to maintain my enjoyment of sailing.

(See what I did there?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
I think it helps to keep things in perspective. For example, I enjoy working on my boat at least ten times more than mowing my lawn.
Some things I work on because the PO's delayed or failed to maintain certain things. Last Nov, when I winterized, I did an oil/filter change for the first time in 4yrs. At that point, I only had the boat for 8 mos and it was still on the trailer. I also had to replace a seacock/thru-hull because the wood backing got went and it came loose.

I certainly enjoy working on my boat more than yard/house work. Boat work doesn't feel like work. It feels like an achievement towards a goal. For some, it could be to complete a task while someone else could look at the goal of the next port.

Working on your own boat, you get the choice of what project to do and the quality of how it turns out, or at least how you hope it will turn out. If you decide one day, I'll wait and do it tomorrow, you can. While at a job, you do work because you have to and that just causes more stress in the long run.

I prefer to reduce stress whenever possible. It's not easy but every little bit helps.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook