SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dock vs. mooring
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road
Re: Dock vs. mooring

Some more thoughts - this equation changes a LOT with the local area. In a place with a lot of moorings, there will be infrastructure to support the boats. Example - Swan Creek Marina in Rock Hall has a number of moorings. They have a dinghy dock, a place to pull up and load, water, showers, etc. Many harbors I have been to in New England and Maine were primarily set up for moorings. The high tide range makes docks an issue if they aren't floating docks. Some other areas - not so much. In Maryland we have "good" mooring areas and "bad" mooring areas. The good ones tend to be run by a local marina or organized by the local town. Getting a mooring within the boundries of Annapolis waters is quite the accomplishment. There is a waiting list that is DECADES long or at least it used to be. The "bad" areas tend to look like a bunch of boats whose owners could not possibly afford a slip and some apparently can't even afford things like sail covers, bilge pumps, or soap You can see this as a literal line in Weems Creek between the Annapolis controlled half and the other half of the creek that is a free-for-all. Mooring in one of these areas gives you neighbors that are on dubious gear at best. We have one live-aboard in the creek that has a raft of 2-3 boats usually that migrates up and down the creek whenever the wind is strong. Winter frequently results in at least one of the floating wrecks getting loose or sinking.

Speaking of winter, this is a large drawback to the mooring in some areas. Getting back and forth to the mooring in December is not as fun as it was in June. I can still remember heading down the creek in the dark on a cold December night with the wind blowing 35 and hoping the old Dyer did not decide to pick that night to sink or capsize And then you have the ice issue. Some people are willing to risk ice and just let their boats get frozen in. They seem to do OK, but I never could bring myself to do that. Every year on the mooring I hauled out around Christmas and thus had the expense of hauling/launching/storage. I stay in my slip year-round and can usually get some good sails in over the winter. Not doable with a mooring very easily IMHO and I sure like the heat in the winter. I kind of have the best of both worlds now. I have a slip on Kent Island and a mooring in the Corsica River at my club.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Coquina; 09-03-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook