SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27
Re: What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?

Shinook,

I have to laugh again. I was in the PA National Guard in the early 70's. They had some old.
helicopters, were hand me downs from the active duty Army. I was drilling on the weekend and had started my shut down and was about to kill the engine. I saw a man coming up to the side of the aircraft. I opened the door and he handed me a note. It said... pick up the commander and fly him to Harrisburg for a commanders meeting (ASAP).

I needed gas and needed to hover to the fuel pumps and shut down again. I refastened my seat belt, took the stick friction/ locks off, etc. . I forgot one important item -- fuel shut off. I started to throttle up and it sputtered, as soon as I heard it.. I moved the shut off to the open position. If I had lifted off for flight and was caught in the dead mans zone of 75/ 3oo feet; I would have had a hard landing and tore up the helicopter. It was gas powered and if a bad crash, would have caught on fire and I'd be a crispy critter.

This is before the autopilot deal in the Apache and I followed the check list most of the time, it's a military training thing. Forgot to mention the museum piece I was flying .. OH-23D Hiller, 3 place. The MASH TV show had the Bell 13, this is a twin sister.. just a different manufacturing company.

So, the next major item is -- "Distraction's, " if you are distracted, start over from the place in the checklist that pertains to the operation you are performing i.e. pre-light, run up, cruise, descent, pre-landing, final landing checks, shut down... will save your bacon.

The military teaches a sterile (means No B.S.) cockpit below 10,000 feet. This is good idea, lots going on in a turbo prop or jet, lots of air traffic to ID, cockpit checks, it's really busy, this is a airline standard too.

I had my Apache for 8 years and loved it. I took on a partner and it was Not a good partnership... drove me crazy. I was not looking for a partnership.. he looked me up, was down ward spiral. I got out of the partnership and bought a Cessna 310-B. I liked the 178 K speed over the Apache 148 K speed. I did not like (1/2 fuel) the wing rock from gas in the tanks in rough air while on approach. I did not like the oil consumption of the O-470 Continental's, they'd burn 2 or 3 qts. per 2 or 3 hour trip. The O-320 Lycoming's would burn 1 qt. in a 2 or 3 hour flight.

I sold the 310 and it become a drug airplane. The Fed's called me and asked if I knew the man I sold it to. I said No, I listed it in Trade a Plane, he called me, we discussed the price, we agreed to it. He brought me a Cashier's check, I signed the papers, he flew away. After the telephone Fed. drill... I was told that the 310 was used to transport drugs. The Fed. said, it looks like you have No Involvement.. thanks for your time. I was in the military at Fort Bragg, NC. I did not have a telephone listed in my name and they called me at my unit. I had used my apartment telephone number and the phone was listed in my friend's name. This was in 1982, Big Brother can find you in a heart beat.

Last edited by HighFly_27; 09-03-2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: mistakes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook