SailNet Community - View Single Post - upraded my 22' for a 30' and now afraid to leave the slip
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013

aprilsails is on a distinguished road
Re: upraded my 22' for a 30' and now afraid to leave the slip

I took the CYA Intermediate Cruising Standard course last week and as part of it we had to dock a 42ft full keeled boat. He has us practice first with bouys and the dinghy anchored as a dock in a nice bay. It was good to learn how much effort it takes to start and stop a larger boat.

When it came to finally docking the thing I had to do the equivalent of the Captain Ron maneuvre in the video posted above. It took me three tries (we had an escape route) but it worked like a charm at the end.

Definitely with a larger boat figure out how you can make spring lines and prop walk work for you. Think about your spring lines in advance and rig them up for your approach. Leave lots of length.

The instructor on our trip also told us to drive it like we stole it, since it is necessary sometimes to have more weigh on than you would expect with a fully keeled boat. If you practice taking it from a reasonable speed to dead stopped in the open water you'll know how much reverse you have to give to arrest your movement.

I took out a C&C 30 earlier this summer after 10 years of no sailing experience other than my dinghy. Getting off the finger dock the first morning was mortifying (for me) as I proceeded to do a 5 - 7 point turn when the prop walk + wind spun me the wrong way coming off the dock. I didn't hit anything and took it slow and was able to turn the boat around. The second time I came out of that slip went great.

I hope you get out on the water this weekend.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook