SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

I've been trying to keep up with this thread and have read as much of it as I could bring myself to.
I bought and read the BS book and had a good time reading it. While it is unlikely I will ever build or own a BS boat, unless I got divorced, I found it a great read.

I will probably scan in the whole book and add it to my Kindle for when we go cruising.
Will I ever build a BS Block or a BS windless etc. Probably not. It is kind of fun to imagine doing so however. It reminds me of a simpler time when with a few tools a guy could make anything.

It makes me feel more confident that if someday I get stuck on some outback island and break something I have a guide to encourage me to find a local fellow with a welder and have him fabricate what I need to perhaps make a weather window.

I can see anyone of a half dozen of Bret's gear designs coming in handy in a pinch.

It doesn't matter to me if it takes someone 20 minutes or a couple of hours to build a block. What matters is that it is possible and that it will do the job.

I'm more than willing to give Bret a little leeway on hyperbola in reference to how long it takes to make things and how long they last.

I just enjoy seeing the creativity of using simple cheap material to make something that works.

The value in his designs in my opinion is in re-opening our eyes to the possibilities of making functional stuff ourselves.

That is valuable information.

His passion for what he does is just an added bonus.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook