SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb760 View Post
Greetings! I do hate to bother you. But, after reading this excellent post on the use of butyl and countersinking, which I will be using when I install stanchions on my boat, I felt compelled to ask a slightly different question. I recently purchased a 1969 Yankee Dolphin. The handrails have been sanded/eroded by weather so badly that they are literally pencil thin. I have bought new ones and am ready to tackle replacement. There is absolutely no evidence of water intrusion inside the cabin where the bolts that hold the rail pass through the roof. I'd like to keep it that way. Can you advise me how to properly bed the handrails from underneath? Perhaps a tutorial on attaching teak deck fittings from below? Thank you for your time, I look forward to your advice.

Eric
First you dry fit them. If they screw up from below, as many do, mark your centers and pre-drill the rails. Now screw them down dry and make sure they fit. Sometimes, due to cabin top shape, some bases may not fit flush to the deck and may need the proper angle sanded in to them.

Next remove hand rail and countersink each hole then insert each screw through the deck. If you not epoxy potted the deck now is a good time to do so...

Wrap an extra long butyl cone around each screw to hold it in place and cover the bottom of the hand rails in Bed-It butyl leaving just the screw hole showing.. Using a friend align the screws with the holes and begin to tighten each one evenly and slowly.

Once the hand rail is compressing the butyl stop screwing and put body pressure on the hand rail from above to displace the butyl. Go snug the screws. Do this again and again until the butyl stops oozing out. DO NOT use the screws to compress the butyl as they can be stripped out of the teak.

It is best to epoxy seal the bottoms of the hand rails where the butyl is to prevent the finish from lifting....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 09-04-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook