SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing Sexist?
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
I had female flight instructors when I was getting some advanced ratings and never had an issue understanding them. Perhaps they mastered "man-speak" in order to talk to me

We did learn real quick with sailing to NOT put husbands and wives on the same boat.
Example:
"Sir, not to be rude but I am a trained instructor and you are a student. Can you please not re-translate everything I tell your wife? Thank you"
Joe,

It's not always about the instructor. Sometimes it's so the women can learn in an environment away from their male SO who may, while trying to be helpful by "translating" your instructions, make things more confusing and harder for her to concentrate. Or he may be a yeller and by taking instruction at a women-only school, this gives her an out for not taking the class with him. Everyone is different.

Regardless of the reasons and where they go to learn, I prefer to see women get the instruction any way they can than not getting any and being in a position where they aren't a helpful, contributing part of the boat ownership and operation. Not every woman is strong-willed enough to exert herself and some need more gentle encouragement. Whatever. In the end we all win.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook