SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing Sexist?
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013

aprilsails is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
We did learn real quick with sailing to NOT put husbands and wives on the same boat.
Example:
"Sir, not to be rude but I am a trained instructor and you are a student. Can you please not re-translate everything I tell your wife? Thank you"
I just completed a week of Intermediate training with my husband and the trainer was complimenting us on getting along very well for the week together. He usually winds up with a lot of screaming husbands and upset wives.

I told the trainer that we were there so he could teach my husband since my husband will always second guess me unless I have someone to back me up. I'm also not a screamer so that helps.

In my experience with sail training on tall ships I found that forceful (loud) male captains turned the teenage girls away from sailing and we would have less female officers in training those years. My best friend really enjoyed sailing until Captain Bob came along and I don't think she's been out on a boat since. In years with gentler male captains or female captains the ratio was closer to 50/50 and occasionally there would be more girls than guys.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook