SailNet Community - View Single Post - Late September 9 day Chesapeake Cruise
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Late September 9 day Chesapeake Cruise

I like Urbanna and recommended it. It is a nice, quiet town with a few restaurants, all within walking distance. On the downside, it is in a rural area and 15 n.m. from the Bay, N.W. in and S.E. out, which can be frustrating if the wind is from the wrong direction. Do not go too close to the #2 Channel Marker for Urbanna Creek - there is shoaling to the south (correct) side of it. Just to the north of the marker is a low stone jetty that is difficult to see at night.

The Rappahannock River and its tributaries are beautiful. The water is generally flat, but there is a bit of a tidal current to contend with.

Be careful at night. For some reason, the GPS charts and some chartbooks do not accurately depict the Rappahannock River Bridge channel, which is currently missing a light on the north side of the channel. The channel is in the very middle of the bridge, which shows up as a "Note*" an an "Overhead Power Cable" on my GPS chart chip, not as a bridge.

(I would also be careful at Kiptopeake Beach - the private buoy marking the entrance is also missing a light. If I had not been there before, I probably would not have entered the anchorage at night, even though the pier is brightly lighted. As it turned out, mine was the only boat anchored there in early August).

Last edited by jameswilson29; 09-04-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook