SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Identify this sealant!

858 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  benesailor 
#1 · (Edited)
I am rebedding the portlights on my Catalina 27 and am looking for suggestions on how to clean up the old sealant. I've removed most by scraping, but would like to get the residual as well. Acetone doesn't seem to do much. Photos attached.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

Sorry, seems that I can't attach photos here! WTF!?

#2 ·
The sealant on my 1985 Cat 27 was some black sealant (note that I have the acrylic windows with no metal frame). I removed most of it by scraping with a flat blade screwdriver and then sanding the remainder. I tried to avoid using solvents as to not mess up the new seal. Dow 795 was great for rebedding. I have pictures somewhere and will try to link/post.

Josh

#4 ·
Yes Dow 795 is a silicone, but not to be confused with or replaced by other types of silicone. Dow 795 is specifically made for structural glazing and weatherproofing applications. Also made to withstand exposure to weather and temp variations. I sure other adhesive manufacturers produce comparable products but I'm not sure what they are and haven't heard of their use marine applications.

Josh

#5 ·
Toluene (toluol) will take it off but you better be VERY careful. It will eat your skin and sniffing it will alter your thoughts (why do you think they sniff aerosol paint). It is hard on plastics so use sparingly. Another option is to use a citrus based cleaner like citrisolv or similar. Has d-limonine (spell?) in it which is the agent that seems to work.

Dab either of these on a paper towel or cloth to moisten it and see what happens. Don't totally soak it. Finish the cleaned area off with Acetone to remove any residual solvent.

#6 ·
A note on Dow Corning 795 caulk. It is great stuff, the only caulk that has held up on my aluminum frame/acrylic hatches. Make sure you pay attention to the expiration date. I had a tube that was 8 months past the expiration date and it WILL NOT harden. Fortunately the job will be easy to redo when I get a new batch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.